Velvet dresses make a glamorous statement and are having a major fashion moment right now. The rich, opulent fabric instantly elevates any outfit. But finding the right shoes to pair with such a luxe dress can be tricky. This complete guide will give you plenty of stylish shoe options to complement your velvet dress for any occasion.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Shoes for a Velvet Dress
With velvet being such an eye-catching fabric, you’ll want the shoes to enhance the dress rather than compete with it. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
Complement the Color
Stick to shoe colors that will let the velvet stand out. Neutral colors like black, nude, silver, and gold are safe bets. You can also pick out a color from the velvet pattern or dress detail and match your shoes to it. Deep jewel tones like ruby red or sapphire blue will make both the shoes and dress pop.
Mind the Texture
Velvet has a signature plush, soft texture. Choose shoe materials and finishes that complement and don’t distract from the velvet fabric. Matte leather or suede offer textural contrast while still looking sleek. Metallic shoes in silver, gold, or rose gold also pair nicely with velvet’s sheen.
Consider Heel Height
The dress hem length and occasion should determine heel height. For tea length or maxi velvet dresses, opt for heels, wedges, or platforms to elongate legs. For mini and knee-length styles, lower block heels, booties, or flats keep the look refined. Stilettos work for formal events.
Choose Appropriate Shoe Styles
To balance the velvet fabric, shoes that show some skin are ideal. Think open-toed shoes like pumps, strappy sandals, or peep-toe booties. Ankle strap shoes and pointed toe flats lend visual interest and elongate the leg.
Stylish Shoe Options for Velvet Dresses
From flats and sandals to sky-high stilettos, here are some chic shoe styles perfectly suited for pairing with velvet dresses:
A pointed-toe stiletto or block heel pump in a neutral shade like black, nude, silver, or gold works for both day and night velvet dress outfits. Brands like Sam Edelman, Nine West, and Naturalizer offer many options with comfort technology. Pumps in jewel tones also make a fun, colorful statement.
Heels that show off a bit more skin help balance the higher necklines and long sleeves often seen on velvet dresses. Some stylish choices:
- Ankle strap heels – Look for these in metallics or solid colors with stiletto, mid, or block heels.
- Slingback heels – The retro style offers a peek of skin at the heel. Go for neutral, metallic, or matching colors.
- Peep toe pumps or platforms – Give your look flair with an exposed toe and stiletto or chunky heels.
Great brands for chic heels include Jessica Simpson, Badgley Mischka, and Steve Madden.
Booties lend an effortless vibe and work for day or night. Go for these styles:
- Block heel booties – Try mid-height stacked heels paired with fitted ankle boots. Taupe suede is a versatile choice.
- Pointed-toe stiletto booties – Look for sleek leather booties with thin heels and an elongating pointed toe. Black leather has a classic feel.
- Jewel-toned velvet booties – Make both the dress and shoes the star in coordinating velvet pairs from brands like Rebecca Minkoff.
Luxury Italian brand Aquatalia and designer Vince Camuto have gorgeous dress bootie options.
Turn up the glam factor with a pair of dazzling evening sandals:
- Jewel-embellished – Sandals encrusted with crystals or jewels make a dramatic statement. Metallic and satin fabrics are perfect for complementing velvet.
- Glistening metallic straps – A T-strap, ankle strap, or cage strappy sandal in gold, silver, or rose gold adds shine.
Luxe designers like Tory Burch, Gucci, and Badgley Mischka do jewelry-inspired sandals well. A crystal thong sandal also livens up solid velvet dresses.
For daytime or casual affairs, flats beautifully tone down the dressiness of velvet:
- Leather pointy toe flats – Go for solid color leather or suede. Nude, black, and navy are foolproof options.
- Ballet flats – Look for quilted, glittery, or velvet-textured pairs that coordinate. Add a metal heel cap for sheen.
- Minimalist embellished – Flats with small bows, buckles, or brooches add whimsy without competing with velvet.
Great go-to flats brands include Tieks, Sam Edelman, Cole Haan, and Dr. Scholl’s.
Summary of Recommended Shoe Styles
Refer to this table for a quick overview of the best shoe styles to pair with your velvet dress:
|Shoe Style||Types||Brand Examples|
|Pumps||neutral colors, block or stiletto heels||Sam Edelman, Nine West|
|Heels||ankle strap, slingbacks, peep toe||Jessica Simpson, Badgley Mischka|
|Booties||block heel, pointed-toe, jewel-toned||Aquatalia, Vince Camuto|
|Sandals||jewel embellished, metallic||Tory Burch, Gucci|
|Flats||leather, suede, minimal embellishments||Tieks, Sam Edelman, Dr. Scholl’s|
Putting Together Complete Velvet Dress Outfits
Use these tips to polish off your head-to-toe velvet dress ensemble:
- Accessorize with restraint – Stick to minimal jewelry and bags to avoid clashing with the luxe texture. Statement earrings or a sleek clutch work best.
- Add opaque tights – Pair velvet dresses with black or colored opaque tights and booties for cold weather.
- Incorporate velvet – Don’t shy away from mixing velvet fabric. Add a coordinating velvet blazer, headband, or shoe for a monochromatic vibe.
- Contrast textures – Leather jackets, suede purses, or faux fur coats balance the velvet.
With the guidelines above, you can fearlessly select the perfect shoes to complement your luxe velvet dress for any stylish occasion. Have fun pairing velvet fabulosity with shoes that accentuate the gorgeous fabric.
Additional Tips for Wearing Shoes with Velvet Dresses
- Consider adding cushions or gel inserts to your heels or flats to make velvet dress outfits more comfortable for all-day or evening wear.
- Look for shoes with ankle straps or buckles if you’ll be on your feet a lot, as they help keep shoes securely on your feet.
- Bring along a foldable pair of flats in your clutch to give your feet a break from heels when needed.
- Shop end-of-season sales to find discounted designer velvet dress shoes. Department stores like Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Bloomingdale’s offer great deals.
- Protect suede and fabric shoes from getting soaked in rain or snow by applying a weatherproofing spray.
- Stuff shoe bags or tissue paper inside any velvet shoes when storing them to help the fabric hold its shape.
Velvet dresses make a glamorous statement for holiday parties, formal occasions, or nights out. With so many gorgeous shoe styles to elevate your look, you can find options tailored for any velvet dress design and hemline. Focus on complementing the lush velvet fabric with shoes in neutral hues, metallics, or rich jewel tones.
Contrast the texture with matte leather or suede. Booties, sandals, pumps, and flats offer plenty of versatility. Use the tips above to give your velvet dress ensemble a spectacular finish! You’ll shimmer and shine in your head-to-toe velvet and shoes.
What do you wear with a velvet dress?
You can wear many types of shoes with velvet dresses like pumps, heels, booties, flats, and dress sandals in colors that complement the velvet. Accessorize minimally and add opaque tights or leggings for cooler weather. Choose shoes in metallic, neutral, or rich tones that don’t compete with the velvet.
What season do you wear velvet dress?
Velvet dresses are perfect for the holiday and winter seasons. The luxurious fabric provides warmth and richness during the cooler weather. You can also wear velvet year-round for evening occasions by pairing with a light jacket or shawl.
What goes with green velvet dress?
With a green velvet dress, look for metallic shoes in gold, rose gold, or silver. Nude or black heels also allow the green to stand out. Red shoes would provide a nice pop of contrasting color. Keep jewelry minimal to highlight the dress.
Is velvet a formal dress?
Velvet is considered a formal, elegant fabric. Long velvet dresses or rich jewel-toned cocktail dresses work wonderfully for formal events and parties. Darker colors like black, navy, or emerald have a sophisticated look. Use ornate heels and jewelry to complement.
What looks good with velvet?
In addition to heels, boots, and flats, velvet jackets, headbands, and clutches complement velvet dresses nicely. Jewelry looks striking against the lush fabric. Faux fur, leather, and suede contrasts the texture. Overall, opt for accessories in metallics, neutral and jewel tones that enhance the velvet.
How do you style a simple velvet dress?
A simple slip velvet dress can be dressed up with heels, a clutch, and statement earrings. For a casual look, pair with booties, a denim jacket, and crossbody bag. You can also layer a turtleneck or collared shirt under a strapless/short sleeve velvet dress. Finish with tights and flats or ankle boots.