Discover the best tips and tricks for storing leather shoes for a long time. Learn how to preserve their quality and prevent cracks with this expert guide.
Leather shoes are a valuable investment and an essential part of our wardrobe. To make the most of this investment, it’s important to store your leather shoes properly so that they last for a long time. In this article, we will provide you with comprehensive guidance on how to store your leather shoes to ensure they maintain their quality and appearance.
Clean Your Shoes Before Storing Them
The first step to properly storing your leather shoes is to clean them. Dirt, dust, and other debris can scratch the leather and cause it to become dull and discoloured over time. To clean your leather shoes, use a soft cloth or brush and a leather cleaner specifically designed for leather shoes. Avoid using water or any other cleaning agents that may cause the leather to dry out or crack.
Store Your Shoes in a Cool, Dry Place
Leather shoes should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and sources of heat. The heat can cause the leather to dry out and crack, and the sunlight can cause the leather to fade. Consider storing your shoes in a closet, in a box, or in a shoe bag specifically designed for shoe storage.
Stuff Your Shoes with Paper
To help maintain the shape of your leather shoes, stuff them with paper when you store them. This will help prevent the leather from collapsing or becoming misshapen over time. Avoid using newspaper or other types of paper that may leave ink or other residues on the leather. Instead, use unprinted tissue paper or old, clean white towels.
Use a Shoe Tree
Using a shoe tree can also help maintain the shape of your leather shoes and prevent creases from forming. Shoe trees are specifically designed to fill the inside of your shoes and help keep their shape. Additionally, they help absorb moisture and prevent the growth of bacteria, which can cause unpleasant odors.
Store Your Shoes with Room to Breathe
Leather shoes need room to breathe, so avoid storing them in airtight containers or bags. This can cause the leather to become dry and brittle over time. Instead, store your shoes in a closet or a box with plenty of space around them to allow air to circulate.
Rotate Your Shoes
Finally, it’s a good idea to rotate your leather shoes so that they don’t get overused or worn out in the same spot. This will also help prevent creases from forming and help keep your shoes in good condition for longer.
In conclusion, properly storing your leather shoes is essential to ensure they last for a long time. By following the tips outlined in this article, you can protect your investment and enjoy your leather shoes for years to come.
- What is the best way to store leather shoes for a long time? A: The best way to store leather shoes for a long time is to keep them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, moisture, and heat. You can stuff them with paper or shoe trees to keep their shape and use a leather conditioner to keep them moisturized.
- How can I prevent leather shoes from drying out and cracking? A: To prevent leather shoes from drying out and cracking, store them in a cool, dry place and use a leather conditioner to keep them moisturized. Avoid exposing them to direct sunlight, moisture, and heat.
- Is it okay to store leather shoes in a plastic bag or container? A: No, it is not recommended to store leather shoes in a plastic bag or container as it can trap moisture and cause mould or mildew to form. Use a cloth bag or shoe box instead to allow air to circulate.
- Can I store leather shoes in a damp or humid place? A: No, storing leather shoes in a damp or humid place can cause mould or mildew to form and damage the leather. Keep them in a cool, dry place away from moisture.
- What can I use to polish and protect leather shoes before storing them? A: You can use a leather conditioner or polish to protect and moisturize leather shoes before storing them. Make sure to clean the shoes first and apply a thin layer evenly.
- How often should I check on my stored leather shoes and rotate them? A: It is recommended to check on your stored leather shoes at least once every six months and rotate them regularly to ensure even wear and to prevent any creases from forming.